2010-07-01

Spinach Chickpeas - Palak Chana Rice

June was remarkably a busy month for me, inviting friends, attending many dinners, visit to Finnish summer cottage, so it was plenty of cooking, five cake baking in a row and work at office, was the reason why I had been away from blog baby. Tried three new cake recipes will post hopefully soon. I know I have to get updated from people in blogosphere, waiting for the weekend to do that. So here is the recipe for the week, chickpea spinach rice, very simple and healthy one. Hope you will enjoy!

                                                                                     Three beautiful spices


                                                                                            Baby Spinach


                                   My porcelain Princess shoe, new kitchen accessory  - cooked chickpeas


                                                                                                   Ingredients


                                                                             




                                                                             Grated Coconut





                                                                                 Carrot flowers and curls


                                                                                               I enjoyed :)



( Note: Since I wanted chickpeas beautiful and perfect for photo-shoot, I was conscious in taking it out soon from the pot, though it was just fine, would have bit better if it was more soft )

Ingredients
75 - 100  gram fresh spinach leaves
2 green chilies
1 large onion (sliced)
2 tbsp of oil
1 to 1.5 inch cinnamon stick
4 to 5  cloves
2 to 3 cardamom
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp of grated coconut
100 gram chickpeas ( soaked and cooked or canned chick peas)
200 gram basmathi rice ( soaked for 30 minutes before cooking)
300 to 400 ml of water ( you can add more depending on the rice) 
Salt to taste

Method
Grind clean spinach and green chilies into smooth paste and set it aside
In a deep heavy bottom pot, warm 2 tbsp of oil, add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Wait for 30 to 45 seconds then add sliced onions. Fry onions till they are transparent or light brown.  Add ginger garlic paste fry for 45 seconds. Now add in spinach chili paste. Fry till the oil separates out, add cooked chickpeas, mix well  Add grated coconut, fry for 30 seconds. Next add in soaked rice and fry for another 2 minutes, then mix salt. Pour in water and cook till the rice is cooked. Serve with curd or rita. I garnished the food with carrot curls and flower, check this video if you want to learn  carrot curls  and  carrot flowers

26 comments:

My Kitchen Antics July 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

hmm interesting combo..i am bookmarking this one..and as usual pics look brilliant

Maija July 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

Will try that out - looked so yummy! And ah - that is what the shoe was for!

Unknown July 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Ananda you always blow me away with ur photograpy..pics are awesome.Mu hubby always tells me presentation of food always takes you to the next level....you r awwesome with presentation too....go girl....keep rocking and inspirirng me

Sanchita July 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

Lovely Photos..I always struggle with spinach but this sounds like a good idea. Will try soon. :)

Unknown July 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

@Nisha glad you found it interesting, wonderful do try :)

@Maija, how nice, don't forget to let me know when u cook, ha ha, it was so cutie that i wanted in my blog pic :P

@Divi Thank you very much. This inspires me for more good updates, mutual benefits :)

@Sanchita ya i know they are bit tricky, hope u too will enjoy, thanks :)

5am Foodie July 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

Hi Ananda. I've been wondering where you'd got to. Nice to see you back!

This looks very nice, and like something my family would like. Do you have it on its own, or with something else?

Unknown July 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

@Michele How sweet :) Thanks!...You can have them just like that, else it goes great with plain yogurt or rita :)

Anonymous July 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

Cor blimey! looks very very good indeed!

Choclette July 2, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

This looks delicious. We've got loads of orach (a very nice spinach substitute) growing in our plot so it's great to have another recipe to make from it - thank you. Such beautiful decorations too.

Unknown July 2, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

@Gourmetgorman ha ha ha Thanks :)

@choclette Sounds great thank you :)

Ushnish Ghosh July 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Dear Ananda
Very nice dish and great photos too. This is very new for me and I must try as soon as I am back home...
Have a nice sunday

Unknown July 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

Thanks Ushnish Ghosh, Please do! same to you!

Catherine July 5, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

This looks delicious! Look at those pretty little carrot curls and flowers awww, and LOVE the porcelain shoe :)

Unknown July 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

@Catherine Thanks! ha ha ha me too ;)

MaryMoh July 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

Wow...everything here looks delicious and very well presented. Love all the garnishing!

Afsal_ Alif July 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Your blog is fairly simple.....but Colorfull....

Unknown July 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

@Afsal....Thanks, that was the basic idea :)

Sanchita July 20, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Hey Ananda!

I tried it recently..It came out beautifully. The only thing I didn't add was coconut..but still it was great! Thanks a lot for sharing..

Sanchita July 20, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Hey Ananda!

I tried it recently..It came out beautifully. The only thing I didn't add was coconut..but still it was great! Thanks a lot for sharing..

Unknown July 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

How sweet of you Sanchita, am glad you liked it. My pleasure :)

amna August 18, 2010 at 4:08 AM  

such gorgeous pics ananda! following u :)

Unknown August 29, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

Thanks Nags :)

Sourav September 9, 2010 at 12:04 AM  

D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S !

Have been a big fan of Sanchita's cooking blog. Just the first time here, and I am impressed! No, I don't cook except for maggi but I am a food lover! :)

PS - Please categorize Veg/Non Veg dishes, it will help the readers. I am a veggie too!

Anonymous September 21, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

I love what you men are usually up too. This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the great functions guys I' ve added you men to my blogroll, Cheers.

Unknown September 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

Thanks Sourav, I too started my cooking career with Maggie, so sounds like a good start :) Sure keep that in mind will work on it, but i have recipe index where i have sorted out veg, non veg and rest of the recipes :) hope it helps the veggies.

C&G November 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

It looks so good this spiced basmati rice...

 
designed by GeCe for special use by A Pinch of Love