2010-06-16

Banana Oatmeal Muffins for Mother's day

It excites me when I find a reason or inspiration to cook something special. Baked banana oatmeal muffins for Mother's day about more than a month ago.
                                                                   

I went around searching theme, found bunch of yellow and orange roses that matched the recipe and felt perfect for Mother's day. One special ingredient in this recipe is sun-dried banana, brought from newly opened organic shop in my city, which has too many goodies. This is an eggless recipe, to keep up the promise for my eggless chicks :)

                     From organic food shop- hydrated vegetable chips, healthy snacks - loved it!

Last year when mum visited me in Finland, we celebrated Mother's day in a very special way, went on a holiday trip to Stockholm by cruise. Sailing through the Baltic Sea and spending days in sunny Stockholm was indeed a trip to remember. Knowing I could never rewind my life I made the best use of mum's stay with me in Finland. This was beautiful stage where, myself and mum spent the days more than friends, we spoke endlessly, giggled and cooked for each other. Week day's mum fed me healthy scrumptious food. During weekends I broke all the rules and made all the unhealthy and extra delicious food.


This year, I kept all memories fresh in mind and made these muffins and dutifully sent her pictures, along with a book from M.I.L.K photography collection named "Dear Mum" as a surprise gift and sincerely ate all muffins by myself. And these were few lines I wrote for her


One soul who felt us growing, unceasingly nurturing us till today without a hitch.
A daughter will be adored by Father, she will perceive him ever to stay protected.
But it's Mother, who she always wants to see herself as.
You strong eminent lady, taught us blind faith and doped courage within us.
Hope for life and self confidence through self respect.
The day when we reached lower levels,
You kindled with your strong thought provoking words,
Which we initially assumed as rage you showed.
As we grew, understood your method to make us tough and wise.
Mom, you our little baby, on the hands of your daughters,
Lay on back on us and rest a while, it's our time to nurture you.
Our Dearest Mom, we will there for you even if earth wearies off!


These muffins are best for breakfast and you might notice I have glass of milk in background for most of the pictures. This is to emphasis, how important milk is for women after menopause, they are in need of calcium to prevent osteoporosis. Don't forget to share this information with your mum and don't wait for an opportunity to live life, create one, enjoy to fullest and cherish when it becomes past.






Added note: I forgot to mention when I made this post, since I used quick cook oatmeal and whole wheat flour, the muffins were chewy and bit gooey. That's why, preferred saying it as breakfast muffins. If you use large flakes oatmeal, you must note some (better) difference.  

Ingredients

150 gram whole wheat flour
75 gram large flakes oatmeal (I used quick cooking oatmeal, becoz I picked wrong one from market)
65 gram brown sugar (use 100 gram sugar if you don't use sun-dried banana or banana apple  sauce/jam)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
200 ml soy milk or skim milk (I used skim milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 banana mashed -  medium size
5 diced sun-dried banana or 80 ml banana/apple jam/ sauce ( optional, else remember to add more sugar as mentioned above, sun-dried banana increased flavor in my muffins, good substitute for flavor can be banana extract)

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degree centigrade. In a bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and diced sun-dried banana. In another large bowl, mix milk, mashed banana and vanilla extract. (Incase you are going to use any jam/sauce or extract mix with milk). Mix thoroughly. Slowly add in flour mixture by parts into banana mixture until well combined. Fill muffin tins (paper bake cups) with muffin  dough until it is 3/4 filled. Bake at preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until it is lightly brown and  toothpick comes out clean. Serve with loads of love for mum :)

17 comments:

My Kitchen Antics June 16, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

aww that was really sweet but im wondering whether mothers day is diff in diff places..here in england it was some 2 months abck if im not mistaken..but wahtever it is, its always a perfect time to tell ur mom u love her:)

Simplyfood June 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

Beautiful mother's poem you have written.Muffins look amazing egg less too and what can I about the clicks??...........They are simply mind blowing.Thanks for dropping by simply.food.

dbunk June 17, 2010 at 3:35 PM  

Kudos to Sagari for posting this. The muffins look yum. Is it particular that one should use the Paper bake cups? Can it be baked in a baking dish?

Nonappa .. June 17, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Wow...cool it looks great Ananda :)and I want to try at least one of these!

Unknown June 17, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

@Nisha Yes you are right, it was 2 months back, edited my post after seeing ur comments, i have a bank of recipes to be posted, but am keeping it slow :) Thanks :)

@Simple food Thanks a lot....I simply loved ur pani poori ohhh :)

@Sindur thanks dear, made it as muffins becoz its easy pick for breakfast. Well its possible with baking dish and can be served sliced :) i still remember the promise for real eggless part cake!

@Nonappa Kiitos, try it and don't forget to call me :)

Catherine June 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM  

What a beautiful poem :) and those muffins look delicious!

Unknown June 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

Thank you Catherine :)

Choclette June 22, 2010 at 12:24 AM  

A lovely Mother's Day thought - shame she couldn't be with you this year, but sounds as though you had a wonderful time last year. The muffins look lovely and healthy.

Unknown June 22, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

Oh yes, not all time we have good lucks :( thanks choclette :)

Groovy Baby Blog June 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

I love your blog, and now I'm following, Beautiful pictures and great posts!
Tati
http://Groovybabyblog.blogspot.com

Unknown June 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

Mothers Day Recipes are nice. I had it its very tasty. The process of making dishes are awesome. Mothers Day Recipes are there in Indianecipes.co.in

Unknown June 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM  

Thanks Groovy Baby Blog and Akshay!

ani_aset July 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

wow lovely pictures..are all taken by you?

Unknown July 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

@Ani_Aset...Thanks! Yes ineed :)

MaryMoh July 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM  

Beautiful roses!! I love the muffins...healthy muffins...mmm. Everything is perfect for Mother's Day.

Anonymous July 10, 2010 at 11:16 PM  

The muffins were great also for my pregnant sister :) I just wonder, how they can taste so good and still be so healthy! Sari

Unknown July 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

Thank you Sari...Lovely you and ur sister enjoyed :)

 
designed by GeCe for special use by A Pinch of Love