2011-08-25

A guest post by Nisha Thomas from Look who is cooking too - Grilled chicken wings in a chilli garlic sauce

Since you already know the story of me running like a headless chicken, cooking only once or twice a week, spending time with my handsome 1.7 MV pelletron at work for 16-18 hrs and stay like a dead log next day, leaves me unable to generate anything decent to present here. On other hand leaving this virtual place unattended thro which, I got connected virtually with beautiful people around the world, left me pondering. There is no life when I live my days without human connections.


So what’s next? Why not start a guest post series (this was the surprise btw) and ask a helping hand from those beautiful people? Nisha Thomas of Look who is cooking too was first on the list. She kindly agreed. Her space is filled with delectable recipes and witty, transparent, lucid writings promising to leave with a smile and doping an urge to come back for any reason oh not forgetting her gorgeous picture! Honestly I keep Nisha's blog post to read in the mornings, you know start the day with a light heart. I eye all her chicken/non-veg recipes and I adore these two; especially her mom's chicken recipe ohhh LOVED it. 

Ladies and gentlemen here is Nisha Thomas, tune in to her blog for more. And bundle of thanks to you Nisha for coming over with my fav chicken! 


I stumbled upon Ananda's blog 'A pinch of Love' quite by chance and if im not mistaken she had just started her food blog. The pictures made me go back again and again and soon we were exchanging comments on each others' blogs. Then I guess it was the power of Facebook that eventually brought her into my friends circle and there was no looking back. I love the way she pens down her thoughts on her blog and the pics are to die for. If I let you in on a little secret- I sometimes head to her blog and take a peek at the gorgeous salmon soup pics taken in the beautiful snowy setting. There is something about that picture that screams out warmth and cosiness. I am so happy that Ananda asked me to do a guest post on her blog and I hope I have done justice to it with these spicy chicken wings in a chilli garlic sauce.


The recipe was the aftermath of a chicken wing obsession which I have been  am still going through. Once I discovered skinless and cleaned chicken wings, there was no looking back. I love how easy it is to cook with them- marinate, grill and if I feel like it, make a sauce and serve. Since the supermarket stocks only a couple of these at a time, when I find them, I go ballistic and stock atleast 2 packs in my freezer, scared they would suddenly stop stocking them or something. Yeah totally weird behaviour if you ask me. I have become a lunatic when it comes to storing some stuff like this (I'll leave the story of the frozen Swedish meatballs for a later time). Sadly my freezer has not much space (which Ro thinks is good, because one day he opened the middle rack to find about 10 to 15 packets of frozen chapatis and freaked out). I mean who does things like that? Well me for sure because, believe it or not, I dont know how to make chapathis. So in fear of them stopping the manufacture of these chapatis, whenever i find them i stock them to hearts content.



Anyways, we are not here to talk about my pitfalls are we?. I'm sure you'd like to know more, but let me not steal the limelight from the chicken wings. So these are so damn easy to make and taste amazing with some chilled beer or cider. The best part- you dont need to have a BBQ grill or any such fancy schmancy appliance. Just your oven grill would do. The marinade is a mixture of all sorts of sauces (from various countries that too) and like Ro says, is slightly confused as to which ethnicity it belongs to. But who cares when it tastes so darn yummilicious? So without further ado, here is the recipe for some finger licking food.




Chicken wings- 1 kg

To marinate:
Tomato ketchup- 1 tbsp 
Worcestershire sauce- 1 tbsp
Soy sauce- 1 tbsp
Franks hot sauce- 1/2 tbsp (optional)
Garlic powder- 1 tbsp (or use 1/2 to 1 tbsp garlic paste)
Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
Dried oregano- 1.2 tsp (optional)
Salt and pepper- to taste

For the sauce
Onions- 1 large, or 2 small, finely chopped
Garlic- 10 cloves, peeled and finely chopped
Ginger- 2 inch piece, peeled and chopped
Tomato- 1 large, roughly chopped
Tomato ketchup- 1/2 tbsp
Soy sauce- 1/2 tbsp
Oyster sauce- 1 tsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Water- 2 tbsp

Cut off the tips from the chicken wings, clean them under running water and pat dry as much as possible. Transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, add all the ingredients under the 'to marinate' section in a bowl. Mix well and add salt and pepper accordingly.
Pour this marinade over the dried chicken wings and mix well, coating them as much as possible.
Keep aside for at least 30 minutes, or cover with a cling film and marinate in the refrigerator overnight
Preheat the oven on grill mode and line a baking tray with aluminium foil. I'd advice you to double the layer in order to be prevent the juices from spoiling the tray.
Using tongs place the chicken wings in rows. If your tray is small then you can do this in two batches as well.
Place it on the top most shelf, just under the flaming grill and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes on one side. 
Once the time is up, take them out, turn them over and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes. My wings (that sounds so corny!!) are done in exactly 17 minutes. If i want a more charred look i keep it a little longer but be careful, you dont want to burn it (been there done that, plenty of times..ha)

While that's being taken care of, make the sauce.
Place a large chefs pan on medium high heat and add the oil.
Once its hot throw in the garlic, onions and ginger and stir fry for a couple of minutes till the onions have wilted and the nice smell of ginger and garlic is obvious.
Add the chopped tomato and continue cooking till it is nice and mushy. Oil doesn't really have to leave the sides, but make sure the tomato is cooked thoroughly.
In goes the sauces- tomato, soy and oyster. Mix well, add salt and pepper as required after doing a taste test and then the water.
Bring to a light boil and turn off the flame. Keep aside.

Once the chicken wings are grilled to perfection, transfer them to the chefs pan with the sauce.
Place it back on low- medium heat and mix well to coat the wings and lightly heat up the sauce.
Serve hot with a salad or even rice.

Notes: This is not really a spicy dish even after adding Franks hot sauce. Add chilli powder to the marinade (as per taste), if you prefer a more spicier version
If you dont prefer the sauce, the wings are good as it is, especially if its a bbq party or so where you dont want to waste time mixing the two together.
Do the mixing bit just before you serve, as it also heats up the chicken wings in the process.

Thanks to Ananda once again for giving me this fabulous opportunity.




47 comments:

Vimitha Durai August 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

So very yummy, loads of flavor and beautifully done wings

Unknown August 25, 2011 at 9:24 PM  

Nisha...very well done on the wings....I am soo tempted....I was also going to make some wings...I have them ready in my freezer....looks very delish! yumm!:)

Priya Suresh August 25, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

NEver say no to chicken wings, looks absolutely irresistible..WOnderful guest post,kudos to u gals..

Satrupa August 25, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

I am a big fan of Nisha from the very first day I hopped into her blog. I luv her cute ramblings with Ro and not to forget the recipes she posts :)
I luv chicken wings and don't mind getting my hands dirty on them :)
Both you gurls rock !!

Pushpa August 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM  

Chicken wings with garlic sauce yummy and irresistibly good.

kankana August 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM  

I agree with everything you mentioned about Nisha's blog. I always wait for her new posts .. every time she inspires me. This is a great dish and for a chicken lover like me .. this is the best chicken dish for me :)

Manju August 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM  

Was just at Nisha's ogling at the pics..ogling more now :)

Victor August 26, 2011 at 2:51 AM  

Thanks for your suggestion about the baked eggplant with tomato sauce, that's a great idea!

Thanks for introducing a new blogger, lovely pics and look irresistibly delicious.

Now that you mention about the 1.7 MV pelletron, I assume you work in thin film materials probably doing some ion beam analysis or lithography. I'm actually interested to know more about your system. My work consists at synthesizing graphene via CVD and do transport and mechanical measurements. Let's talk more about it if you're interested. (randomcuisine@gmail.com)

sm August 26, 2011 at 3:57 AM  

looks tasty dish

Radhika@foodfor7stages August 26, 2011 at 6:23 AM  

Love both of your blogs. The ingredients in the marinade sounds very interesting. Would love to make this for my better half who is very loyal to chicken.

Aarthi August 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM  

wow...That look delicious...

Prathima Rao August 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM  

That looks delicious...and a nice write up too..:) Yes....Nisha`s blog has some amazing clicks..I particualrly like her write ups..Makes u go back & read them all over again!!.And your blog is no less Ananda...Gorgeous, tempting clicks, some humorous, emotional posts..:)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Angie's Recipes August 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM  

They look fingerlicking!

Ally August 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM  

pretty as a picture!!

Ushnish Ghosh August 26, 2011 at 7:35 PM  

Dear Ananda
How are you ? Wings are the only part of a chicken , I dislike the least ...I like this multi-fusion dish..English, Italian, Indian...just great..but cant get the real good sauce used here...:-)
Have a nice weekend

Sarah August 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM  

this looks yummm! cant wait to try it!

Sarah @ ExPat Bride August 27, 2011 at 3:36 AM  

I totally NEED to buy a better quality camera so I can take pics like this... and then I need to buy some more creativity too!

Kalyan August 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

Grilled chicken is one of my favourites anytime...looks so easy to make and delicious!

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy August 28, 2011 at 7:22 AM  

These wings look loaded with flavor from around the world. I love the color. You both are lovely ladies whose blogs are always a treat for the eyes and tummy :)
Take care Ananda and all the best while you keep busy!

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy August 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM  

These wings look loaded with flavor from around the world. I love the color. You both are lovely ladies whose blogs are always a treat for the eyes and tummy :)
Take care Ananda and all the best while you keep busy!

C&G August 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

Hello Ananda! it was such a ong time I did not pass by! Chicken looks delicious! Giorgia & Cyril

Unknown August 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

Your chicken look wanderful!
Have a nice day!

Cassia Bark August 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM  

These wings are so enticing! Love the photos and the recipe..will try out soon :) and Ananda your blog is the one I look at almost every morning....the photos are absolutely gorgeous!!! Keep up the good work :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook August 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

Hi Ananda! Wow it's amazing to know you have two completely different side (career and blog) and do well on both!! Thanks for introducing your blogger friend. I always collect chicken wing recipes because my kids love holding the wings on their own to eat (yes and super messy). Thanks for sharing the recipe Nisha!

Binys Recipes September 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM  

Ananda thats really nice and wud make the mouth water...nice post

manhattan September 2, 2011 at 8:49 AM  

very appetizing .. make me hungry .. i like that ..

Catherine September 2, 2011 at 7:22 PM  

Those wings look gorgeous, Nisha! I must pop over to your blog and peruse the rest of your recipes! I'm not sure what Frank's Hot Sauce is, but I'm sure that marinade will still be delicious without! :)

Ashwini Nishil September 3, 2011 at 4:55 AM  

Hi there..
You have a lovely blog with interesting recipes and enticing photographs..liked it a lot.

cheers
Ashwini

Treat and Trick September 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM  

Tempting clicks and looks mouthwatering! Each blog of you has its own attraction that is really worth visiting...

Mom of 12 September 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM  

That looks so good! I'm hungry now...
Sandy

Binys Recipes September 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM  

Ananda a worthy treat by nisha....gr8 going dear

Sarah Naveen September 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM  

I wanna eat the entire thing now..i always loved her pics..

Ely September 8, 2011 at 5:29 PM  

very tasty to eat with your hands ... and lick your fingers :-)))))
hugs Ely

Agnibanya September 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

oh my gosh!! I'm falling in love with the pictures,and couldn't read the procedure at one go because i kept scrolling up for the pictures..will try soon! thanks for the amazing recipe..

Devaki September 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM  

Fingerlicking, mouthfuls of goodness, these. Thanks Ananda & Nisha :)

The pics are splendid too :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Phone Systems September 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

My mouth is watering now. Thanks for sharing all your post with us.

Unknown September 13, 2011 at 4:45 PM  

a chicken eater's treat no doubt :) pics are great!

pressurized September 14, 2011 at 4:42 AM  

That looks so good .. yummy fried chicken

Unknown October 2, 2011 at 7:08 PM  

Thank you so much guys for stopping by and for your words of appreciation to Nisha and me!

Nippon Nin October 8, 2011 at 10:19 PM  

Great looking chicken wings. Love to try for next gathering. Photos are gorgeous too.

Dona January 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM  

hi ananda,
my husband just made it and finished the whole set of chicken wings in just one sit . he said that it was perfect and that he loved it. thank u for sharing this recipe

Unknown January 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM  

Hi Dona, Glad your husband enjoyed it, will convey it to Nisha, brainchild of this recipe, thank you for trying and reverting back.

Dona January 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM  

hi ananda,
could u please tell me how to make the chilli garlic sauce

Unknown January 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM  

Hey Dona, do mean a separate dip for the chicken? since the sauce recipe for the chicken is given above....:)

Dona January 18, 2012 at 6:16 AM  

hi ananda,
yes a separate dip like the one shown in the pictures

Unknown February 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM  

Hey Dona, sorry forgot to inform you, the dip shown in pic is store brought, hope you find something similar happy cooking!

Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM  

I adore you stories and i hope you'll be able to keep them coming. Honestly it's challenging to come across an fascinating blog nowadays.

 
designed by GeCe for special use by A Pinch of Love